Faculty of Earth Science and Technology was originally a part of the Faculty of Earth Sciences and Mineral Technology. The idea of splitting Faculty of Earth Sciences and Mineral Technology arose because the wide spectrum of earth science and led to the dichotomy of science and engineering. This situation resulted in the difference between the fields of science related to natural resource management, especially in supporting the implementation of the Tri Dharma College in the Faculty of Earfh Sciences and Mineral Technology.
Faculty of Arts and Design was established in the 1984, after experiencing of long growth history since 1 August 1947 as the Center of Universiter Drawing Teachers Education under the Faculty of Engineering Science of Universitas Indonesia in Bandung. In 1956, Architecture was included in the faculty, along with Fine Arts. Fine Arts was divided into two programs; Education of Fine Arts and Art Paintings.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences was established long before the inauguration of Institut Teknologi Bandung. In October 6, 1947, the Faculteit Exacte van Wetenschap later became Faculteit Natuur van Wiskunde en Wetenschap, then became Faculteit Definite Sciences and Natural Sciences. Finally the name changed into Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences as we know today.
Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, formerly Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning, is a faculty composed of programs that were first emerged in the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning. Civil Engineering Program was the pioneer of the Engineering Higher Education (during the Dutch era) which was established in July 3rd, 1920.
Faculty of Industrial Technology was established in 1973. But, almost all degree programs under this faculty have started their academic activities before the faculty was established. After several changes, until December 2005, Faculty of Industrial Technology comprised 7 departments, namely Chemical Engineering Department, Mechanical Engineering Department (offering Mechanical Engineering and Material Engineering Degree Programs), Electrical Engineering Department, Engineering Physics Department (also offerings master program in Instrumentation and Control), Industrial Engineering Department, Informatics Engineering Department, and Aeronautical Engineering Department.
The Faculty of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering is one of 12 faculties/schools at ITB. The history of Faculty of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering can be traced back to the inception of Department of Mechanical Engineering at Technische Hogeschool Bandoeng in 1941. During further development of ITB, Department of Aerospace Engineering and Department of Material Engineering were established. The three departments were reorganized in 2008 and grouped under one faculty: Faculty of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
Although the Faculty of Mining and Petroleum Engineering just began in 2007, its history has been taking place since the late 1940s when a Mining Engineering undergraduate program was opened at University of Indonesia in 1948 under the Faculty of Engineering.
The School of Architecture, Planning and Policy Development was established on 29 August 2005 by a decree from Rector of ITB (No. 222/2005) which intends to re-organize academic units of ITB, adding the total numbers of faculty/school from 7 (seven) to 11 (eleven). However, the constituents of the school are not new, as it draws all academic programs and resources from two existing departments (namely: Architecture and Regional and City Planning) that were previously under the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning, and 2 two existing academic programs (namely: Development Studies, Transportation) that were previously under the Faculty of Industrial Engineering.
The industrial engineering department of ITB recognized the importance of business and management education in Indonesia as early as the 1970s. This idea stayed in the department during the 1980s but was finally realized in 1990 when Prof. Mathias A’roef, a prominent figure in Indonesia in the field of Industrial Engineering, introduced the MBA program at ITB with a concentration in operational management. This, in turn, culminated in the founding of School of Business and Management of ITB.
The School of Electrical and Informatics Engineering, which was inaugurated on January 1st, 2006, is a combination of two departments at ITB, namely the Department of Electrical Engineering and Informatics Engineering. Both of these departments have a long history of conducting higher education in Electrical Engineering since 1947, and Informatics Engineering (IF) since 1982.
In the 21st century, professionals in life sciences will play important roles in the development of bioscience, biotechnology and natural resources management. In fact, biotechnology has been projected to be one of the most important applied sciences. Thus, School of Life Sciences and Technology is built to answer those problems.
Pharmacy higher education program at ITB was established on October 6th, 1947, held by Department of Pharmacy which had been managed under coordination of a faculty named Faculteit voor Wiskunde and Natuurwetenschapen. At that time, this faculty was a part of Universitas Indonesia.