The oldest and only one modern observatory Bosccha Observatory is close to Bandung, approximately 15 kilometers north of Bandung. Built in 1920s by Dutch East Indies to study astronomy, it is still well-preserved until now. The observatory's operation was given to Institut Teknologi Bandung in 1959, and since then, scientists and students have continuously observed the sky in Bosscha. Bosscha has 5 large telescopes installed in the observatory, Zeiss double refractor, Schmidt telescope, Bamberg refractor, Cassegrain GOTO, and Unitron refractor. Those telescopes are used to observe stars, galactic structure, lunar eclipse, planets, supernovae and other astronomical bodies. Indonesian scientists observes hilal every year in Bosscha Observatory.